[haiku-development] Re: User interaction while mounting filesystems

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 10:13:41 +0200

Janito Ferreira Filho <jvffprog@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was wondering if it would be interesting to have some sort of user
> feedback on certain situations when mounting a file system.
[...]
> Perhaps a solution would be to implement these interactions at the
> user-space, and communicate it through some kind of ioctl? Maybe a
> more "clean" way would be to use flags and error codes, with the
> user-space mounting program responsible for detecting that given the
> current mount error it is possible to ask the user for a retry with
> some
> new flags set. The problem would be obviously that file system
> dependent
> code would be present in the user-space. Any ideas?

One problem is that if mounting fails, you need someone to talk to that
delivers the data for the alerts (that needs some context information).
And you sure don't want to see any alerts when mounting from a
terminal.
IOW you need a mechanism where you (the one initiating the mounting
procedure) decide how the information/requests are presented.
File systems already have a userspace add-on that could deliver
functionality in this regard.
BTW if you mount a volume, its log is replayed automatically; ie. you
would need to introduce extra mount flags (or file system specific
options) in order to prevent or control this.
However, a password for an encrypted or remote file system would be
another use case, as would be a file system error that let's it switch
to read-only mode in the fly (although that would rather be a case
where you would want to broadcast the error message through all
channels).

> PS: Slightly off topic, but are there no mentors for my Ext3
> proposal?

We're not yet sure who will be mentoring what project, so you currently
can only assume that there is someone for you :-)

Bye,
   Axel.