[haiku-development] Updating Haiku's GCC4 to 4.4.1

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko+haiku@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:38:48 -0400

Hello,

As some of you may know, I have been doing work on a Haiku-ready GCC
4.4. Today GCC 4.4.1 was released, and I am going to do some testing
with that in a bit to make sure it still seems nice and stable.

Assuming all is well, I think it would be a good idea to update our
GCC4 to 4.4.1 just so we are current with the latest release series of
GCC4.

A couple of important features that GCC 4.4 brings over 4.3.3 are a
new register allocator (IRA), as well as the Graphite loop
optimization framework.  Also, I think in general it would be good for
Haiku to update, since by doing so, we know our code is keeping up to
date with changes in GCC.

So, I suppose my question is, how do we proceed?  How do you guys feel
about updating GCC/Binutils to be more current?  I could surely take
this on if you all felt okay with me doing it.  Maybe I could work on
a branch on the side, and then merge everything in when it all seems
good?  I don't expect you all to just give me commit access for such a
thing, but from talking with Michael and Oliver, they seem to be open
to the possibility.  If that were done, at least I wouldn't have to
bother one of you to apply a patch, import/update GCC and its
dependencies, move files/directories around, etc.

You can all let me know your take on this about the best way to proceed.

In any case, I probably wouldn't feel confident having anything
committed on the GCC 4.4.1 front for about a week, since I want to do
local builds and testing so at least any known issues are addressed by
me.  I also just started updating scripts locally to hopefully allow
the cross-compile of GCC 4.4.1 with or without Graphite support built
in (at the builder's discretion).  Additionally, I wouldn't mind
packaging up an optional package when the time comes.

After our GCC is updated to the 4.4 series (whether that is sooner or
later), I also wanted to start talking to the GCC guys to see if we
can get most of our changes landed in their repository.  I'm not sure
how open they'll be, given what seems to be mandatory testsuite
results, but I can still see what they say.  Last year Ingo had talked
about doing this, so he can still do so if he desires.  If not, I'd
have no issue representing Haiku on this matter.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear your thoughts regarding
updating to GCC 4.4.1.

- joe