[haiku-development] Re: (USB MIDI) Device hierarchy

  • From: "Sean Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 21:34:53 +0000

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 09:06:17PM +0000, Sean Collins wrote:
> >
> >    Pete plugging in the kx8 cuases a complete deadlock.
> >
> >    something is very wrong. the device announces itself on windows
> > as a
> > USB midi HID. It does have addtional functionality however outside
> > of
> > the midi spec but this shouldn't cuase a deadlock. I also tried
> > rebooting locked up at desktop.
> >

> [Guess our mails crossed in the aether... Got an important phone call
> in the middle!]
>
> That doesn't sound nice at all.  Haven't had any lockups with USB.
> It doesn't KDL?  Just freezes?  Very odd.  (Is your K/B or mouse USB
> by any chance?  I suppose I could imagine some kind of interaction
> there if it says 'HID')
>
> Does Windows have anything similar to listusb?  You don't have Linux,
> I suppose.  Some kind of dump of the USB configuration would be
> extremely useful here...
>
> Thanks, anyway.
>
>       -- Pete --

   Yeah I can pull the devices ID and some other very basic info. I
think I have a utility for usb sniffing that might be useful.

   Part of it could be that yamaha are notorius patent trolls and they
bought steinberg. Stienberg isn't into anything open source and from
what I can tell neither is yamaha. I can't find anything about a linux
driver either. Just a mac blobl and a windows blob.

   I am actually starting to find this behavior of hardware companies
to be criminal. I can get a manual for my car, I expect one for my
keyboard.

   anyways I will boot over to windslowz and get some usb info later
tonight.

   I was sort of excited earlier.Kind of dispointed now.

    Sean