[haiku-development] Re: USB "Joysticks"?

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 21:41:50 -0700

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:56:57PM +0000, Carwyn wrote:
> Hi Pete and Everyone else,
>
> I already have the usb_joy working and it should work for you, you can
> get it here http://www.cemist.f2s.com/usbjoyhaiku.zip.
Thanks, Caz.  It seems to work for me -- after one little hiccup...
When I first tried it, ny app crashed, so I dug out Takayuki's old
'testjoy' app.  That showed libdevice.so not finding a symbol, so I
recompiled.  With that, things ran fine.  I thought maybe you'd
compiled with gcc4, but the missing symbol is reported as 'CountItems__C5BList'
which is listed (with 'strings') xactly the same in both versions, so
I'm puzzled...!

Anyway I'm in business for now.  Thanks!

> Too use usb_joy properly you must stop usb_hid from detecting your
> SideWinder Strategic Commander as a mouse.

I regret to say that for now I've just disabled usb_hid, as I don't have
any other HID device, except the wacom, which also has its own driver
(unless things have changed in recent updates? I've just done an svn update
but haven't built a new system yet.)

However, I'd imagine Michael isn't too happy with all this (:-/), and
I think I"m with him in the long run. The working usb_joy app should do
me for now, but bringing everything under the HID umbrella eventually
seems the right approach.  At the moment I haven't grokked how this is
to be done, but I'll keep trying to educate myself.

Cheers,
        -- Pete --