[haiku-development] Re: USB "Joysticks"?

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 18:48:19 -0700

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:26:43AM +0200, Michael Lotz wrote:

> > So what's the state of this (and HID in general)?  When I plug in the
> > Commander, it appears in/dev/bus/usb, but there's nothing to handle
> > it
> > by default. ...*Except* the USB-Mouse handler which seems to start up
> > automatically, screwing everything up!
>
> That was by design back then.
Is that what's usually wanted?  I don't think I would -- I want my Wacom
(which I haven't tried yet under recent Haiku) to act in parallel to my
mouse (as in BeOS), but I don't want a 'joystick' to do so.
Anyway, can it be suppressed?  (Or is that automatic if a correct handler
is installed for the device?)

> In any case, please see ticket #7354 which is about adding tablet and
> gamepad/joystick support to usb_hid via new *Device classes. At least
> parts of that are usable. It might need extension to work for your
> case.
Thanks.  That's going to take a bit of digesting, though, as I'm completely
unfamiliar with the protocol.  Any good pointers?  You mention in the
comments there that there was a usb_hid joystick driver in the 'mailing
list' -- I assume this one -- but I can't track it down. Do you have a
reference?

> > I thought that initially I might try to revive the "usb_joy" code
>
> Please don't :-)
If I did, it would only be for internal use, but if I can get the hang
of the HID stuff...

Cheers,
        -- Pete --