[haiku-development] Re: USB "Joysticks"?

  • From: mmlr@xxxxxxxx
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 09:55:59 +0200

On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:41:50 -0700, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:56:57PM +0000, Carwyn wrote:
Too use usb_joy properly you must stop usb_hid from detecting your
SideWinder Strategic Commander as a mouse.

I regret to say that for now I've just disabled usb_hid, as I don't have
any other HID device, except the wacom, which also has its own driver
(unless things have changed in recent updates? I've just done an svn update
but haven't built a new system yet.)

However, I'd imagine Michael isn't too happy with all this (:-/), and
I think I"m with him in the long run. The working usb_joy app should do
me for now, but bringing everything under the HID umbrella eventually
seems the right approach. At the moment I haven't grokked how this is
to be done, but I'll keep trying to educate myself.

I obviously am not really happy with that. The usb_joy driver uses the old hidparse code and hardcodes the supported elements, which makes it less flexible and problematic device sharing wise (and multi function device wise). The usb_hid HID* framework provides access to the same data, it's just enumerated and retrieved differently (i.e. enumerated once on device plug and then just retrieved directly from the data stream instead of parsing it each time). It's really not that hard or complicated, the old code just needs to be ported to the new framework (where mostly filling out the joystick related structures is the complicated part, which I thought one of the patches already covered anyway). Since nobody seems to manage to do that I will look into it.

Regards
Michael