[haiku-development] Re: UI discussion (was "WebPositive misleading tool tip on new tab")

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:09:15 +0100

Am 04.03.2013 um 02:47 schrieb Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxx>:
> My opinion is that the R1 target is not appealing any more (except package fs
> which is unique and new!) and if there are people interesting in developing
> R2 they should be supported to fill the gap.

I don't see the connection you make between the R1 target and the Haiku source
tree, or the "main branch". Putting some feature, preflet, application or
server into the Haiku source tree has never meant that it *will* be included in
R1 or the "Haiku image" target. There is plenty of code that is not included.
And plenty of private, unfinished API that is scheduled to (maybe) become
public one day.

No one forces you to only commit code to the main branch that is useful to
reach the R1 milestone. Of course it is always good to discuss things with the
other developers. If a discussion gets out of hand, or too distracting, then
sometimes it is shut down with the "lets keep focussed on R1" argument. But
that doesn't mean you are not allowed to work on stuff which is unlikely
included in R1.

Of course you should not break stuff. And working on new global, system level
APIs or services likely breaks stuff until it is ready and polished. So you
should work on that in your own branch anyway. This was even true in the SVN
times, but it has become much easier now.

Given all that, what exactly would an "R2" branch accomplish? Do you really
think there will be a sudden surge of fresh developers?

Best regards,
-Stephan