[haiku-development] Re: Two successful final year projects

  • From: Christof Lutteroth <lutteroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:56:13 +1300

Hi!

Thank you for all your encouragement!

Zenja Solaja wrote:
2) The demo shows the window automatically resizes as a portion leaves the
screen.  I hope that this is not the default behaviuor, since some people
want to actually move half a window out of the way.  The automatic resizing
(IMHO) should be activated with a toggle key (eg. option/window key) while
moving part of the window offscreen.

Yes, I agree. We still have to fine-tune the behavior.

3) I like how the window tabs dont slide to line up to the left most tab -
this way you can clearly see where the seperation is.  Can you insert a
window inbetween 2 windows, or can you only attach to the right most edge.

At the moment, insertion is not possible. The user has to de-snap and re-snap.
You can snap a window to any edge of another window (top, bottom, left, right).

4) When it comes to remembering window position, how will grouped windows
behave during start up?  Ie. if my previous session had 2 windows grouped
from 2 seperate apps, what happens when I launch only 1 application in a new
session?

Right now, the window manager does not remember the stack & tile configurations.
But this is future work.

Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
The editor for ALM layouts looked nice, but the properties window is
probably a bit scary for an ordinary user atm.

Yes, this came out in the user evaluation as well. We will try to make it
clearer.

Richie Nyhus wrote:
Would it not be possible map this behaviour to another mouse button?
i.e. When one moves a window by moving it with mouse button 3,
automatic resizing would be the resulted behaviour. An alternative
would be the status quo mapped to the alternative mouse button.

I think it is a good idea to map the special behavior to special buttons or use
toggle keys.
This sort of fine-tuning still has to be done.

Humdinger wrote:
I think this email would make a very nice front page entry on the Haiku-os.org
website.
There hasn't been that much news worthy going on for some time.

If you think this is suitable, feel free to use it.

And: I love that the Kiwis are taking advantage of our nice, totally free,
totally bohemian
OS in an educational setting. Love it, love it, love it.

I am originally from Germany like you :-)
But I have pretty much settled down here in Auckland.

Salvatore Benedetto wrote:
It would also be nice to be able to select a window, like you do with icons, and
then issue a command on all of them, like "Tile windows" or "Stack windows".
The scenario would be a desktop full of many windows applications and
you want to group a few of them together, so a quicker way of the one showed in the screencast would be to select the windows, perhaps from the deskbar, and then right click -> Stack windows etc...

We thought about this, too. This is definitely future work.

What do you think? Is that hard to implement?

I am not sure at this stage, but I don't think it would be too hard.

About the layout manager project, I'd like to see it in action in a
real application to see if it is very useful or not.

Me, too. That sort of evaluation is very important.

François Revol wrote:
Sorry but I only get a white page here :-(
Flash is baaaad, it's *not* the web how it was meant to be.
Couldn't you use some open video format instead ?
There is no single reason to use flash.

Yes, here are the links to Xvid-compressed versions:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~lutteroth/videos/stack-and-tile.avi
http://aucklandlayout.sourceforge.net/videos/alm-editor.avi

scottmc wrote:
Cool projects your students worked on.  Hopefully this will be an
annual event there?  Haiku seems to be well suited for this type of
University level project.  I've often thought that BeOS/Haiku would
make for a good subject for an intro class on GUI development, but
there's still no textbook on the subject.  I think the key parts of
the API can be taught in a single semester.  The "Programming the Be
Operating System" book comes close, but it a little outdated now.

We will definitely continue to do projects with Haiku.
Regarding the use of Haiku for teaching, I see potential there.
But first Haiku needs to establish itself (which I am sure it will).

Cheers,
Christof