[haiku-development] Re: Troublesome USB performance

  • From: Andrew Hudson <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:50:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi Dane,

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems
<signalcaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I know we should expect a lot slower behavior if we boot from a USB stick,
> but
I'm guessing
> it isn't supposed to be as slow as I'm seeing.

I wonder if it is a combination of slow seeking performance of your
USB stick in combination with maybe an automatic VM file which is
causing "disk thrashing" (if that term even applies) in your USB
stick?

Because it seems that everything which is slow is things which need to
seek various items from the disk (such as the items in the Deskbar
submenus, opening the main Deskbar menu does not look at the disk
AFAIK.) The install probably runs OK because it copies things in a way
which does less disk seeking.

--
Regards,
Ryan

I regularly boot from and compile off of a USB2.0  flash drive. It's slower
than a hard disk but it's good enough for every day use.
Now where did I leave that flash drive??
- Andrew