[haiku-development] Re: The ways of Reboot. Acknowledge or not?

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 14:44:22 +0000

Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
2009/4/30 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I even managed to press the wrong button in the shutdown dialog - there
is just no way to protect against senility :-)
I don't like the timeout requesters at all - the timeout (60 seconds in
Ubuntu, and even more in OS X IIRC) itself makes no sense to me. At
least not more than in any other confirmation requester.

I don't understand why we'd want the OS to try and 'protect' the user
from shutdown.
The apps should do the warning/handling if they have unsaved data.

With the warning (think of a popup clip) it will be this on shutdown:
"Hey I'm your friendly OS, do you really want to shutdown?"
"Hey I'm your email, do you really want to save?"
"Hey I'm your editor, do you really want to save?"
"Hey I'm Firefox, do you really want to close those tabs?"

I'm from the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, would you like a job?

Rob