[haiku-development] Re: The ways of Reboot. Acknowledge or not?

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:15:48 +0200

2009/4/30 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I even managed to press the wrong button in the shutdown dialog - there
> is just no way to protect against senility :-)
> I don't like the timeout requesters at all - the timeout (60 seconds in
> Ubuntu, and even more in OS X IIRC) itself makes no sense to me. At
> least not more than in any other confirmation requester.

I don't understand why we'd want the OS to try and 'protect' the user
from shutdown.
The apps should do the warning/handling if they have unsaved data.

With the warning (think of a popup clip) it will be this on shutdown:
"Hey I'm your friendly OS, do you really want to shutdown?"
"Hey I'm your email, do you really want to save?"
"Hey I'm your editor, do you really want to save?"
"Hey I'm Firefox, do you really want to close those tabs?"

You get the point..

--
Fredrik Holmqvist
Chaordic: things that thrive on the edge of chaos with just enough order to