[haiku-development] Re: The Haiku WebKit port has been removed from the WebKit repo

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 21:09:48 -0500

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 22:00:35 -0400, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
The WebKit developers sent a message on their mailing list back in September:

https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-September/018075.html

No one from Haiku saw it obviously to object, so on the same day,
September 25, our port was removed from their repo:

http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/95922

Personally I think that removal was premature on the Webkit side with a
days notice, however it *is* their repo :)

Oops.

+1

Ironically I started my attempt and merging in our changes in our repo
back in June but didn't finish obviously and wasn't paying attention
to see the above message.

Now I could revert the above change and continue merging the changes
from our repo but they just may not want us as a port anymore.
.
I REALLY, REALLY don't want to maintain our own repo, especially with
all the Haiku code removed from the main WebKit repo

+1. Personally I would *NOT* want see us with a local fork, we need a modern web browser... and Web+ using WebKit fit that position *very* well as it
is a powerful/sleek html engine.

But I suspect I or we will need to contribute more to WebKit and stay
active or we will need to contribute more to WebKit and stay active
for them to let us back.

How many improvements do we have that haven't been upstream'ed yet?

We could come from the direction of, "there has been x work done, but it wasn't pushed due to us trying to find a libcurl replacement during GSOC"
(which is the truth)

-- Alex