[haiku-development] Re: The 80 columns limit?

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 09:29:35 +0200

Am 03.09.2021 um 08:57 schrieb Fredrik Holmqvist:

However I think the majority of lines will be <80 columns, so I don't see this as a big problem.
The only difference is that your editor will wrap long lines, instead of a developer spending time trying to wrap them for you.

That is a problem, as the editor doesn't wrap the lines correctly, and thus makes them unnecessarily hard to read. And scrolling is not an option either.
And even if *most* lines are less than 80 columns, that doesn't really help, if not all lines have less :-)

How about we recommend 80 columns, and either with no real limit, or some bigger value that it seems many of us want.

And in the same sense, no limit is not an option.

We cannot make everyone happy at the same time here, as the font size, not the resolution is the issue here, and different people have different needs.

I have lots of space around diff views in Gerrit, but not everyone has.

I think enlarging the limit to 100 characters is sensible, but 90 would also already make a difference.

Bye,
   Axel.