[haiku-development] Re: Text rendering

  • From: Claudio Leite <haiku@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:45:28 -0400

Hello again,

 Maxim replied on the AGG list and advised to implement this on a lower
level (below scanlines). But it seems AGGTextRenderer uses scanlines and
renderers even when using a FT bitmap. I'm thinking it might be useful
to bypass AGG totally in this case--since the functionality is all
there in FT--and just blend the FT alpha bitmap to the screen buffer in
DrawString() or some new class I create. My question is, thus, where does the
screen buffer actually get written, and how could I access its values in
order to do the blending?

 I must admit I'm proposing this alternative because I'm still having
major difficulties figuring out AGG and Painter and where they
intersect. You said in the README that you wrote a news article
explaining the basics--where can I access this? In any case, it seems as
though the relevant parts of AGGTextRenderer boil down to only a few
functions, and unfortunately it seems agg_font_freetype and AGG itself
are rather committed to the idea of gray8 and mono, nothing else.

Thanks again.
-Claudio