[haiku-development] Re: Testing the poll

  • From: "Niels Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:00:38 +0200

Hi,

2008/8/25 Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Could there be a kind of "official contributor" status that would have
>>> more rights, just like the "svn commiters" ?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> IMHO there is no doubt that Jorge qualifies for that.
>> Who else should get the right to vote?
>
> I was not actually thinking only about myself.
>
> I can think of a few individuals that do not have SVN write access,
> but that have made enough contributions to deserve a voice; for
> example, Urias M. comes to mind.

I actually have a half fininished mail draft about his. Sorry, the new
job just eats my time during the week and since it's an internship I
also have to work during the weekend.

The gist of that message is that what this poll is about, is the bare
minimum requirements that the alpha should contain in order to be
released (this doesn't go for the software, but nevertheless). In my
idea, this was code-wise, so the proposals about marketing are out of
place there, at least according to my gut-feeling. Please, this is an
experiment, so forgive me for my naivity.

The implication of this assumption is that almost everything is
relative, so for example, if the GCC 2/4 hybrid doesn't get enough
votes to be required for alpha 1, but it is finished in time, then why
not include it anyway. I understand that some could people feel
differently.

The poll is designed with the idea that the developers would be the
decision making body after the leadership transition from the admins
to Haiku inc and the development team. Naturally, since things are
still developing in that area, I understand the confusion.

I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Do we select a number of additional
voters? The question is, if yes, what criteria. Do we drop all the
non-development related requests? If so, how do we honour these
requests in a later/different stage?

Personally, I say, let's keep this voting a developer thing. We can
evaluate later what things work, and what didn't. In the same sense
that's the nature of an alpha: what works, and what needs more work.

Anyway, that's my take. I there is anyone who wants to provide a list
of additional voters, then that's fine by me too.  But I will not
mingle in the discussion who is 'valid' and who is 'invalid'.

Niels