[haiku-development] Re: Testing the poll

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:07:25 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:55:32 -0700
> Von: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
> An: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [haiku-development] Re: Testing the poll

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hi,

> have

> >> I was not actually thinking only about myself.
> >>
> >> I can think of a few individuals that do not have SVN write access,
> >> but that have made enough contributions to deserve a voice; for
> >> example, Urias M. comes to mind.
> >
> > I actually have a half fininished mail draft about his. Sorry, the new
> > job just eats my time during the week and since it's an internship I
> > also have to work during the weekend.
> >
> > The gist of that message is that what this poll is about, is the bare
> > minimum requirements that the alpha should contain in order to be
> > released (this doesn't go for the software, but nevertheless). In my
> > idea, this was code-wise, so the proposals about marketing are out of
> > place there, at least according to my gut-feeling. Please, this is an
> > experiment, so forgive me for my naivity.
> >
> > The implication of this assumption is that almost everything is
> > relative, so for example, if the GCC 2/4 hybrid doesn't get enough
> > votes to be required for alpha 1, but it is finished in time, then why
> > not include it anyway. I understand that some could people feel
> > differently.
> >
> > The poll is designed with the idea that the developers would be the
> > decision making body after the leadership transition from the admins
> > to Haiku inc and the development team. Naturally, since things are
> > still developing in that area, I understand the confusion.
>
> I don't think there is any confusion, nor has this anything to do with
> being admins, part of Haiku Inc. or the development team. This was not
> meant to be an us and/or them situation, nor should we make it one;
> admins, developers, non-developers, Haiku Inc. etc.: we are all the
> same.
>
> I raised the issue because, in general, I think that the "you have to
> be a Haiku developer" criteria to vote (or to edit the wiki, for that
> matter) is both flawed and exclusionary, as it includes a lot of
> people that may have not been involved with Haiku for many years and
> leaves out of the process developers and non-developers who are
> currently contributing, some quite substantially, as well as people
> who will be doing work for the alpha 1 release out of the process.
>
> IOW, whether one has write access to SVN alone should not be the
> criteria to be included/excluded from the voting.
>
> > I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Do we select a number of additional
> > voters? The question is, if yes, what criteria. Do we drop all the
> > non-development related requests? If so, how do we honour these
> > requests in a later/different stage?
> >
> > Personally, I say, let's keep this voting a developer thing. We can
> [...]

+1. I don't know any better way then to simply start proposing people who have
contributed to Haiku by more than writing a few mails here. Off the top of my
head:

Scott
Urias
Jorge
Brecht
Andreas Färber
John Drinkwater
Diver

please fill out with who else you know has contributed. The contributors list
in About Haiku should be helpful, people from that list who are still around
should qualify well.

-Stephan