[haiku-development] Re: Terminal patch

  • From: Marcus Jacob <rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:43:12 +0100

Hi Clemens,

On 27.01.2009, at 22:12, Clemens Zeidler <clemens.zeidler@rwth- aachen.de> wrote:

Hi Rossi,

Changed the default behaviour from open in previous workspace to open in current workspace. If you want the Terminal to open in the workspace it
was last closed, press the Windows (OPTION) key.

I still don't see why someone should use this feature? Could you give a usecase?

First of all, with the revised patch you don't have to use the workspace feature, unless you want to. It stays out of most users way, as without the modifier key just the position is restored (in the currently active workspace).

However, I can give you my personal use case. I do use several workspaces, whereas each workspace is dedicated to certain tasks, e.g.:

workspace #1: system maintenance
#2: development (editor, ...)
#3: development (test)
#4: internet (browser, irc)

On most of this workspaces I have open terminals. Upon boot I just open as many terminals as I usually need and move them to the desired position and workspace.

My patch (in its first revision, as I still use it) allows me to start all these terminals from my bootscript and have them at the desired locations without moving them first.

With the current version I (if I would use this version) would at least spare myself the effort of moving them, just need to bring them to the desired workspaces.

And you need to know, I'm "mad" in the sense that I like a clean looking desktop, i.e. most of my windows are placed pixel acurate using Magnify. I do admit that this however is braindead and not normal ;-)

But still its a use case for both, remembering the position and the workspace.

Cheers,
Rossi