[haiku-development] Re: Terminal escape codes

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:59:54 +0200

On 2012-04-20 at 20:13:08 [+0200], Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Another way to approach this might be to make sure Terminal handles
> the mode switch sequence(s) (and it looks like it now does not, so
> that would take some work.)
>
> To the extent that termcap is relevant at all, then you may specify
> whichever flavor of cursor you prefer, and include the respective
> mode switch in the termcap screen mode initialization.  An application
> that knows how to override that will get what it expects, and the
> rest will get what termcap leads them to expect.
>
> Unfortunately, that won't help so much with remote applications,
> since they're working from a different termcap.  (E.g., the BBS
> example that may have brought this up.)

To be honest this does puzzle me. I mean the termcap definitions should be
the same everywhere -- exactly because of remote logins, since otherwise it
doesn't even make sense to use a common terminal type like "xterm" instead
of just one specific for the particular terminal app (and version) for the
local OS.

But then again, the whole termcap/terminfo is legacy and I wonder why no
one has managed to introduce a method that works the other way around (i.e.
let the client application ask the terminal for its configuration).

CU, Ingo