[haiku-development] Re: Terminal Encoding

  • From: dolgov <dolgov@xxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:52:54 +0300

But I'm wondering if Haiku-s default shell (bash) has proper UTF-8 support
now. In BeOS I used bash with utf-8 patches from some coders from Poland,
IIRC.

No, it doesn't.
And I think this situation isn't exclusive BeOS issue, so we still need that Terminal Encodings in order to work with file names with national characters via telnet/ssh.

And from that POV original BeOS terminal had big issue - it supported only ~10 ISO-encodings, while real world widely used Win and Mac conterparts of encodings. And even BeOS API had much wider support for encoding conversions than those 10. I think origing of this number is legacy font encodings set from Be FONTS API - so Ingo's questions was quite reasonable.

Fyysik