[haiku-development] Re: Terminal, East Asian full-width characters and BUnicodeChar vs ICU::UChar32

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 11:51:11 +0100

> We have also the BUnicodeChar class that is looking like light-weight
> replica of UChar32 from ICU. Looks like implementation of BUnicodeChar
> is not finished at the moment and it is functional only for codepoints
> less than 0x9F and have to be extended to the whole range to be usable
> for correct characters' width estimation. By the way, what was the
> intention for inventing BUnicodeChar? Are there any problems utilizing
> ICU's UChar32 directly? Do you have any advices how to implement the
> character properties for the whole range of codepoints in BUnicodeChar?

ICU does not keep binary compatibility accross versions. This was a problem
when designing our Locale Kit, which needs to have a stable ABI accross
releases. The solution we found is to wrap all the ICU API behind our own
one. When we upgrade ICU, this way programs are not affected and we only
have to change the Locale Kit. Feel free to make the class more complete if
you need so, getting the data from ICU.

--
Adrien.