[haiku-development] Re: System Rebuild strangeness

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 14:34:37 -0500

On Dec 31, 2010, at 9:54 PM, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I've hit another problem that I can't understand that maybe someone
can clear up for me.

A couple of days ago (as I mentioned) I successfully built a (GCC2)
system from SVN source. The jam ran smoothly, I installed the resulting
image, and it all seemed fine.

Today, I wanted to try a small patch [seeing what Travis' PopUpMenu patch actually might do], so I modified PopUpMenu.cpp (and nothing else), and
ran 'jam -q' from the 'haiku' directory again.  This time, it failed
-- nowhere near that modification. Below is the tail end of the output, from where it apparently started going wrong. (Looking at the generation of libbe.so earlier in the text, it appears to have gone normally. The
size of the file is identical to the original build.)

I have the suspicion that the problem is somewhere in the link operation
rather than libbe.so itself, but that's just a guess.

I actually went on and replaced libbe.so in the installed partition,
and everything still seems to work. (I couldn't see any effect of the patch, but I did look at an objdump disassembly, and the added code is there.)

Explanation appreciated.

   -- Pete --

---------

Judging from the error message I think that this change might be to blame.

http://dev.haiku-os.org/changeset/40053

...failed Link generated/objects/haiku/x86/release/add-ons/opengl/ mesa_software_renderer/Mesa Software Renderer ... ...skipped <HaikuImage>haiku.image-copy-files-dummy-system/add-ons/ opengl for lack of Mesa Software Renderer... ...skipped haiku.image for lack of <HaikuImage>haiku.image-copy- files...
...failed updating 1 target(s)...
...skipped 2 target(s)...
...updated 506 target(s)...