[haiku-development] Re: Suggestion for Stack and Tile

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:25:19 +0100

Clemens Zeidler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just doing some refactoring on the stack and tile code and going
> through the ToDo list Axel wrote a while ago *). I think while doing so,
> it is a good idea to have in mind what other people think about SAT. I'
> mean, what are your ideas how SAT could be more usable and tighter
> integrate into Haiku?

Glad you're looking into it Clemens!

One problem that needs solving is how to cope with very large numbers of
windows. Tabbed browser type interfaces either have a widget at the end
to display a menu of those tabs that don't fit, or to move the tab view
left and right.

I wonder about whether Tiling is really useful. It's nice to see in
demos, but maybe Windows 7 got it right here - that comparing things
side-by-side in fullscreen is the hugely dominant use-case for this.

The other interface to consider is something similar to Chrome's title
bar. I don't like it in Chrome as it goes against the usual windows
standard interface, but it might work quite well when applied to the
whole OS. ASCII art time:

| |X| /Single Window\ |Z| |

| |X| /Document 1\ /Document 2\ |Z| |

So the decorators work pretty much unchanged, but the "window title"
area becomes tabbed. These can get dragged off to form new windows and
when space is short a drop-down menu widget can be added.

Simon