[haiku-development] Re: Suggestion for Stack and Tile

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 01:27:22 -0400

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Clemens Zeidler
<clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At least Axel wrote that he thinks SAT is a way to rough at the moment. Do
> you had something special in mind?

A while ago when I was more deeply involved in the WebKit and browser
project, I read a suggestion on the Haiku forums that using stacked
windows instead of tabs might be an interesting way to organize a
browser. At first I did not think it was a good idea but the more I
thought about it the more it made sense for a Haiku browser.

For this to work nicely there would need to be the following:

- An API to create stacked windows, so that an "Open in New Tab" menu
item could actually create a new window in the current stack.
- The removal of the zoom button except on the last window (which you
already mentioned, though in your case you want to leave it on the
first window.)
- A way to render favicons in the window decorators (this one could be
tricky to implement, though icons on window decorators is not unheard
of on other systems.)
- Shuffling of tab order when using shift-drag on the window
decorators (basically an extension on the current shift-drag "sliding
tab" behavior.) I don't think the current Stack and Tile handles this,
but I'm not sure.
- Maybe fixed tab/decorator sizes, and tooltips to show the full title.

All the above might be a lot of work, though most would be fairly
useful in general. But there is no guarantee it would be all that much
better than what we have now in WebPositive. In general I'm beginning
to think tabs in browsers can cause more problems than they solve.
I've had various ideas on how to deal with some of the use cases
people have for tabs by replacing them with other things (and I'm not
alone on this, there is a lot on the web about it.)

I think besides the browser that at least the Terminal application
"tabs" would be better implemented using stacked windows than the
current tab system.

--
Regards,
Ryan