[haiku-development] Re: Suggestion: Rename "Keyboard" to "Typing" in Preferences

  • From: Matt <laceysnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:31:15 +1000

2009/9/26 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Niels Reedijk <
>> niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I am sure that some people get very excited with the possibilities
>> > that it opens, but I guess those people can be counted on two
>> > hands. I
>> > would say this constitutes a useless feature which will make the
>> > interface more complex for everyone.
>> Assuming we allow for configuring multiple input devices of the same
>> type separately (which is pretty much the whole premise behind the
>> "Input Devices" preferences), then it makes sense to use some default
>> settings when a new device is added. So I don't see how Pieter's
>> suggestion complicates things that much. If on the other hand you
>> oppose the whole concept of configuring the same type of input
>> devices
>> differently, then that is a whole different matter.
>
> But since this is very common with laptops (touchpad vs. mouse), I
> don't think we should ignore this.
>
> Bye,
>   Axel.

There should be separate sections for touchpad and mice, since they
are fundamentally different and the touchpad settings will also
include things like touch zones. I have no issues on my windows laptop
or on my mac with the separate settings.

It's the multiple keyboards where I think things get overly
complicated. Is there no way to detect keyboard layout? The click rate
etc. should be the same across all keyboards, only the layout need to
be different for each. I'd have though if you plug a keyboard in to a
laptop then that's the one you'll be using until you remove it, I've
never had two keyboards plugged into a desktop machine except for once
when I had a PS2 + USB keyboard plugged in just because at the time I
couldn't use the USB one with slackware's installer.