[haiku-development] Re: Suggestion: Rename "Keyboard" to "Typing" in Preferences

  • From: Pieter Panman <pieter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:09:39 +0200

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
I am also a bit cautious about this approach, but if you examine the
deeper reasoning it starts to make more sense. Specifically the
ability to configure multiple similar devices differently (such as two
keyboards or two mice) will require some sort of list. At the moment
this list would be needed on possibly three different preference apps
(Keyboard, Mouse, Touchpad.) So at that point it starts to make sense
to combine them, especially since they are all pretty much in the same
category (input devices.)
+1 from me, I like that idea, just listing each input device on the left and having their setting views on the right. So if i were to plug in my usb mouse on my laptop I'd have the touchpad AND the usb mouse listed for configuration, next to the keyboard.
Of course then you start thinking even more generic and about a
Devices preference app, though you don't necessarily have to go that
far. BUT I do think some sort of Devices application is needed because
we are Haiku not Linux and we should not require someone to go to the
command line to see their devices (via listdev and listusb.) Of course
it could be argued that seeing devices is an advanced feature and
advanced users can use the command-line, but that is probably a
cop-out.

Of course this Devices app could be much nicer that listdev and could allow:
- checking your devices against a hardware compatibility database online.
- seeing what drivers the devices are using.
- optionally allow reporting non-working devices to give Haiku
developers information on what drivers people want the most.
- enabling and disabling devices.
- etc.
Sounds like http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3185 . :-) I've been rather busy, but I plan to clean it up enough to add it to Haiku.
So before I confuse things any further, I think for now we can try the
Input Devices approach, and eventually add a simple Devices
application too. Once we have those two it can be determined if it
makes sense to combine them. Sometimes you have to try things instead
of discussing them to death ;)
I actually like this separation, because with Devices itself you can't really do much (other than perhaps disable), but Input devices have relatively clear configuration associated to them.

Regards,
Pieter