[haiku-development] Re: Suggestion: New mailing list for management/administration issues

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:50:02 -0800

Hi Matt,

Matt Madia wrote:
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 22:16, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The non-profit was setup to serve the goals of project,
This part is true.

it is run by project contributors,
This is by coincidence. In the future, there could be people outside
of the project who become involved.

At least according to what I have been told many times in the past by several core devs, this is not not by coincidence but by design. Even the website states that "A group of trusted long-term contributors is currently managing the above tasks for Haiku, Inc." (quote from the website). I suppose we could speculate about what may or may not happen in the future, but at present, Haiku Inc. is in fact run by project contributors, so we are all and the same.

and can (only) function thanks to the donations from the community.
This is not completely correct.
If the funds dried up, it would not change the fact that Haiku Inc is
responsible for maintaining the copyrights, trademarks, etc. The
ability to finance items such as coding events, conferences, and
websites would degrade though.

I am not talking about fiduciary or other legal responsibilities, but the fact that if it were not for the donated funds, Haiku Inc.'s ability to perform its role would be at the very least severely impaired if not outright inviable.

Therefore, Haiku Inc., the core contributors and the wider community that
supports the project are all
intrinsically connected.
This is also incorrect.
Yes, Haiku Inc. exists to serve the project but it operates legal entity.
The sheer fact that only the BOD can be held responsible for legal
infractions shows a clear and distinct separation between Haiku Inc
and the Haiku Project.

The point is that even when the BOD does play a specific role, its role is always as part of the project, and not in isolation. That's what being intrinsically connected means.

I understand that the BOD has legal responsibilities; but that does not change the fact that Haiku Inc. still owes its existence to the project and the community, without which it would not exist, nor would there be any reason for it to.

Matt came up with the suggestion of calling this list "haiku-management".
"haiku-management" could be a bit misleading, as Haiku Inc. manages only a
few aspects of the project. Why not just call it [haiku-inc]?

When discussing the idea originally, the list was intended to be for
more than just Haiku Inc's purposes.
Basically, the purpose of this proposed list is to supplement existing
ones, so as to improve the signal to noise ratio of
[haiku-development] and [haiku]. It is not intended to replace Haiku
Inc's BOD list.

I read again the list of topics to be discussed on the proposed list as spelled out by Axel in his original message, and I only see things related to interaction between Haiku Inc. and the community. If that is going to be the purpose of the list, then [haiku-inc] is definitely a better name (that does not mean that the proposed public list would replace the Haiku Inc. BOD private list).

Cheers,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net