[haiku-development] Re: Subpixel anti-aliased font rendering

  • From: Julun <HOST.HAIKU@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:36:29 +0200

Hi,

Stephan Assmus schrieb:
Hi all,

today I was very happy to commit the hard work of Andrej Spielmann, who is implementing subpixel anti-aliased font rendering as his Google Summer of Code project.

*snip*

congratulations to both of you! Nice to see such a great outcome of the gsoc project. :)

screen_gray.png   - the usual grayscale anti-aliasing
screen_filter.png - Andrej's implementation of the anti-color-fringe-filter

Here i like the text rendering as seen in Terminal and StyledEdit, whereas it looks a bit more blurry in Pe, Tracker and Deskbar as in the second screenshot.

screen_avg_32.png - my implementation of the average/subpixel "sweetspot"
                    with 32/68% weighting (avg/subpixel)

As mentioned above, i like how text is rendered in Pe, Deskbar and Tracker, but i see more colored shape on the letters in Terminal and StyledEdit. Most noticeable the uppercase - W - has more cyan surrounding and in StyledEdit i think the letters are more ripply then in the first screenshot.

screen_avg_40.png - The same with 40/60% weighting

I couldn't see any difference here to the second one.

Andrej and I are just interested in comments from more people about what looks better to them and why. Thanks for reading and your input!

All in all i still would go for the second one, as it looks a bit sharper at all. :)

Anyway, great work!
-- Karsten