[haiku-development] Re: StyledEdit and STXT translator. Handling bogus data in ht input streams.

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:17:56 +0100

Am 25.11.2012 15:32, schrieb pulkomandy:
On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 03:27:09PM +0100, Siarzhuk Zharski wrote:
Is mentioned by you mapping to locale kit required to use ICU's
possibilities by Haiku modules or this is just the "right" way to
use it?
ICU doesn't care about binary compatibility. They have support for API
ocmpatibility, however (through the use of a namespace for each
version). So, for anything developped as part of Haiku, it is
technically ok to use ICU. However, going through the locale kit makes
sure that :
  * In case of ABI breakage, only the locale kit has to be rebuilt
  * The functionality gets exposed for 3rd party as well, because it's
added in the locale kit API.

Hm... So looks like the first step in fixing all those utf-8 loading issues (#3056, #6252, #6447 and #7954) should be replacing encodings guessing code in STXTTranslator.cpp with using more experienced Character Detection routines from ICU. After completing it we can play a bit pushing some trash into the translator's input stream, look on behaviour and decide how to make our STXT translator more intelligent. So I tend to HOLD the task and write a new one about migrating STXT translator to ICU.

---
Kind Regards,
  S.Zharski