[haiku-development] Re: Status of Serial Ports in Haiku?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:48:49 -0500

Quoting scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 1:35 PM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
2009/3/15 Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Good morning!
>
> I'm trying to utilize BSerialPort under Haiku and it is not
> detecting any
> serial ports on the system.  I have com2 assigned and set up in
> VirtualBox
> but getting 0 devices returned.  I am also not seeing any serial
> references
> in the syslog.
>
> Is the because Haiku does not see VirtualBox's serial devices?, or
> are the
> serial port drivers currently disabled/not complete?
>
> (I used com2 because I know Haiku uses com1 for logging output.)

BSerialPort is done, but there is no serial port driver yet.

Actually there is one now, but it currently relies on some other not
implemented modules.

François.

So might this be a big enough project to be a GSoC project?

believed to be clean.

I would say that serial working would be a good smaller candidate for GSoC, would teach raw hardware interfacing to serial devices on x86.

Also, I think adding support for Sierra 3G cards to Haiku would be a great project. They are well documented and only have to be added to the USB_Serial drivers to show up as 3 serial ports, I was hacking on it but am too weak at driver development to get it working. Netbooks are becoming more and more common and 3G is the new way to go for mobile Internet access.

The Sierra 3G driver for Linux is below, does not look that complex...
http://lxr.linux.no/linux/drivers/usb/serial/sierra.c

Thanks!

Alexander von Gluck IV
PGP ID: 0x2414F7DC
http://unixzen.com

"The way to find what the mainstream will do tomorrow is to associate with the lunatic fringe today." -- 1995, Jean-Louis Gassée

believed to be clean.