[haiku-development] Re: Stack and Tile

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:50:51 -0400

In my opinion we don't necessarily need to leave all the Stack and
Tile development to the guys in Auckland. Though obviously if no one
else has stepped up yet then maybe we do.

But along this line I have had some thoughts, mainly in regards to how
complex behavior like Stack and Tile can be more easily and cleanly
implemented in the app_server. The general idea would be a system for
supporting pluggable behaviors, similar to how we currently support
pluggable decorators. I suppose the idea would be sort of like X
Windows window managers, but with the behavior and decorator part
separate.

I haven't yet sat down to really design such a system but I imagine it
would not be terribly difficult, especially if it was done as part of
extracting and refactoring the current Stack and Tile implementation.
So whether or not I or someone else from Haiku designs such a system,
maybe the Auckland guys could at least keep that in mind. Of course
maybe this is already the direction you were thinking of going with
it...

Ryan