[haiku-development] Re: Stack and Tile

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:22:53 +0200

Hi,

On 16 April 2010 05:45, Hong Yul Yang <hongyul.yang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I never imagined the issues with svn access would generate this much
> heat. It would be advantageous for us to get commit access but at the
> same time we don't want to force this on you guys either and cause any
> further controversy.

Don't worry or feel guilty. Last time the discussion was not really
about you getting svn access, but about something else in the
background. This time there not really is any discussion; it is just
one person just needlessly trying to heat things up.

What Axel and I were saying this time is that we did not hear from you
and as such the patch seemed to be dead. Obviously, now that you said
something, that is no longer true.

So what to do next: obviously this is a patch with a lot of interest
from everybody around. Therefore, making it available only through a
separate svn branch is not the most efficient way to share it, as
everybody who is interested in the patch probably also wants to keep
their trunk source up to date. Distributed version control systems
only partly solve that problem: there still is a lot of merging going
on. Maybe we can experiment with supplying it as a flexible patch
which can be applied and reapplied at will. I'm thinking about the MQ
extension of Mercurial, which allows you to keep a series of patches
on top of the versioned contents (the mirror of the svn repository),
which seems to be the most efficient way to maintain it. I will have a
look to see whether I can extract the original patch which is now in
the branch, and then to supply it this way, to collect some experience
with this.

Regards,