[haiku-development] Re: Stack and Tile

  • From: Alexandre Moreira <alexandream@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 00:31:07 -0300

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Stack & Tile is a cool feature, many people have said this. Yes, many
> people want to see it in trunk eventually and from time to time someone
> asks about it's status on the mailing lists. Personally I believe it's the
> most elegant solution to the problem that tabbed interfaces are trying to
> fix.

I don't want to meddle, I'm usually just a stalker in this mail
list... lurking around the dark corners being impressed by the
evolution of the system. But I thought the opinion had to be voiced.

Now, I'm not saying I am up to fixing it or anything. At least not
right now: I can hardly find the time to do my own academical
obligations, with the time work takes from my day but...

If at all possible, I believe (as a simple tester, and potential
future programmer for Haiku) it would be very useful if one of you,
more familiar with the code, could point at the problems with current
Stack & Tile implementation and lay some instructions to what parts of
Haiku one should get familiar with to help with the implementation and
maintenance of this module. As some of you said, it seems to be a very
popular feature and it'd be great to have a good summary of what's
needed to do, and what's needed to know to do it in, perhaps, the
"Getting Started" page of the development session on the web site.

I, for one, would really love to start my programming-for-haiku by
learning as much as I can of what's needed to help Stack & Tile, as
soon as I get the time (most likely in two or three months from now,
if all goes well), because that's indeed one of the most interesting
features I've seen in a desktop operating system. But I have no idea
how to even start. I wonder if there are people out there with the
same feeling but with more time than I do.

What do you guys say? If the original authors aren't showing enough
interest (and the license permits it), those of you who know a little
bit about the code could provide a path for those interested in the
feature to jump on it and keep the work going?

Best Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.