[haiku-development] Re: Stack and Tile

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 22:25:56 +0200

On 2010-04-15 at 19:48:42 [+0200], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Humdinger wrote:
> > -- Jorge G. Mare, on Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:50:17 -0700:
> >
> >> IOW, the argument that there were compelling reasons to overturn what
> >> was an overwhelming +1 vote is very hard to swallow and sets a bad
> >> precedent that it is OK to call for a vote and then ignore the
> >> outcome.
> >>

> > Be that as it may. I can't see the use of discussing granting svn
> > access now if there isn't even a Stack&Tile developer asking for it at
> > this time. Or is there?
> >

> Ehem... It was *a Haiku developer not me* who started this thread asking
> why we have not granted commit access to the S&T devs. The fact is that
> the S&T devs have not asked for anything, not now, not then. It was
> Haiku's own initiative to setup the S&T branch and then start the vote,
> and that's the point: that you do all this (create a branch, start a
> vote, etc.), raise and expectation, and then just drop the whole thing
> for no real reason.

"for no real reason" -- that's the part where you are wrong. Please accept
the simple fact that someone may start a vote prematurely, that even quite
a few developers cast their vote until it is made clear by someone else
that the vote was premature. Such is life. No harm intended and no harm
done. It doesn't always have to be about how something is flawed in this
project.

Stack & Tile is a cool feature, many people have said this. Yes, many
people want to see it in trunk eventually and from time to time someone
asks about it's status on the mailing lists. Personally I believe it's the
most elegant solution to the problem that tabbed interfaces are trying to
fix.

However, it has also been pointed out many times that S&T does not yet
integrate as nicely/smoothly as it should. Stability problems were pointed
out and it isn't even clear to me personally if the last iteration of the
patch fixes at least those or not. If there is no one working on it at the
moment, what's the point in discussing commit access? The whole project
depends on some students being assigned to it at the University of
Auckland, or us doing it ourselves. Who would even get commit access? The
last student who worked on it and probably moved on to something else?

Best regards,
-Stephan