[haiku-development] Re: Stack & Tile for Haiku

  • From: Christof Lutteroth <lutteroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:47:37 +1300

Hi!

Adrian Panasiuk wrote:
Thanks. Can you send me a description of how to reproduce such an error?

Reproducible every time:
start with windows A, B, C, D, E
stack windows ABC
snap window D to left side of ABC
stack E to D
move E away from ABCD
stack B to D
stack C to D.

Thank you, that was helpful. All the stack traces you sent earlier seem to be caused by this bug. It should be fixed now. There is an updated patch available:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~lutteroth/linprog.diff
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~lutteroth/stack-and-tile.diff

Random thoughts:
when stacking too many windows, the tabs of some of them get under the
tabs of other windows and disappear; I guess the tabs could be shrunk
with part of the text replaced with an ellipsis, so that all the tabs
are visible at once;

I am not sure yet how, but yes, that should be done. Probably the Decorator and DefaultDecorator classes need some more extensions.

sometimes when I move two tiled windows to a place where a third
window X is, the active window is above X, but the tiled window is
under X;

Yes, the original window order is retained. Again, changing this might be future work.

when unstacking windows, the position of the tab doesn't change so you
get windows with tabs not in the left corner but moved to the right. I
guess if the tabs would return to the left it'd be prettier.

I agree. I changed this so that all the tabs are realigned after stacking / unstacking.

the diagnostic messages that get into /var/log/syslog are garbled because
debug_printf("HE"); debug_printf("LLO");
results in
KERN: HEKERN: LLO

I am using VMWare and it does not show the "KERN: " in the serial log, that's why I didn't see it. I changed it so that the debug output is written line by line.

Cheers,
Christof