[haiku-development] Re: Sound Problems

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 02:19:51 +0000

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:46 AM, Obaro Ogbo <obaro.ogbo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all. I installed Haiku for the first time a couple of days ago on
> an Acer Travelmate 4070. I first installed the pre-alpha vmware
> release, then downloaded the source and built a vm image, then
> installed natively, and then ran an image using xen, and then
> downloaded and ran the pre-alpha image. Through all these, I
> couldn't get sound *at all*. Using xen, haiku recognised Ensoniq
> es1370 when given the option, but then media player won't play
> media files. I tried building the image with OpenSound, then I tried
> building it w/o OpenSound and installed oss manually. On the others, media
> player *appeared* to be playing the files well, but of course with no
> recognised sound driver, there was no output. Linux volume control
> says Realtek ALC883(OSS mixer), but "lspci" says Intel 82801FB/.... for
> audio device.
> Am I doing anything wrong? Or in the alternative can someone point
> me in the right direction to porting a sound driver?
> I'm a student coder with 2-3 years c++ coding. I've got a lot of time
> on my hands for the next 4 weeks and am looking to learn/code OS
> kernels, compilers, networking and fun & profit(of course).
>
> Thnks.

First welcome to Haiku.

Please recognize and respect that this email is off topic for this mailing list.
This mailing list has been created to assist developer related
questions and not to trouble shoot end-user issues.

haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  is the appropriate list for end user issues.

There is also irc.freenode.net#haiku and a few other haiku related
channels , which are available for general haiku discussion.

Thank you and once again welcome to the community.

--mmadia