[haiku-development] Re: Small idea for music / sounds in Haiku - Virtual (void)

  • From: Dane <signalcaster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:08:18 -0500

On Sep 13, 2012, at 12:49 PM, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 08:18:44AM +0200, Marcus Overhagen wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>   http://www.goodeveca.net/haiku/neos_sounds.zip
>> ERROR 404: Not Found.
> Sorry about that damn typo (already corrected by Kit).
>>
>>> They're all AIFF files, though, so you can't play them as is in Haiku.
>>
>> It the aiff reader broken, or why is that?
>
> I've never been able to play aiff files in any revision of Haiku that
> I can remember.  You just get hash with both MediaPlayer and SoundPlay.
> (Actually BamBam will load and play them, but that program's GUI is
> pretty broken in Haiku.)  I thought I remembered hearing that it was
> ffmpeg's problem, but I'm not sure.
>
>       -- Pete --

There's an aiff_reader add-on (somewhere in the Haiku tree?) that works fine.
I don't think it's presently included in the official Haiku distro, maybe on
the assumption that ffmpeg will handle the job with aiff files.  But we (TT
Systems) use the plugin effectively by puttingit in
/boot/home/config/settings/add-ons/media/plugins.  I am able to play those
system files Pete shared without any trouble on my working Haiku installation
using R44242...as well as any other AIFF files I come across.  Without the
plugin, I just get static noise when playing back AIFF files.

Dane