[haiku-development] Re: ShowImage patch

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:44:32 +0100 CET

Christian Packmann <Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you do that, make sure all possibly full screen apps use the
> > same
> > shortcut. There is little I dislike more about UIs than
> > inconsistency.
> I agree with you, but fullscreen toggling is a problem class of its
> own.
> There are too many "standards" for it:
> - mouse double-click on the window (VLC, I think)
> - Alt+Enter
> - F11 (browsers)
> - Alt+F (also used on Macs, I think - Quicktime/Windows has it as
> Ctrl+F)
>
> I don't think that any single standard behavior can be established
> for
> this; you either break consistency across applications, or
> consistency
> across platforms for multi-platform projects like web browsers. Both
> are bad.

If no one starts with being consistent and consequent, you cannot
assume apps will behave that way.
If we define a single and consistently supported way to enter full
screen mode, I can't see how this should be bad. Apps like Firefox may
support both, but everything else should only support the platform
defined way I think.

Bye,
   Axel.