[haiku-development] Re: ShowImage patch

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:01:00 +0100 CET

Humdinger schrieb:
> Gabriele Biffi wrote:
>> Make it configurable? :-)
>
> Please don't and let's find a reasonable standard
> behaviour. Having settings for every taste is the
> road to config hell.

+1

The design of the Haiku-included base applications is
the strongest and most direct way to show developers
what Haiku apps should look like and how they should
behave. And that's why the base applications need to
be held to the highest of standards - to lead by example.

What they don't need to do is to fit every use
or everyone's taste. Third party opportunities.

(But I'm not saying we should keep them needlessly
simple or stupid just for the sake of leaving
plenty of third party opportunities.)

About zoom. I'm thinking zoom-to-mouse should fall back
to zoom-to-center when the mouse is outside the window.

I also think a very brief visual cue right before the
zoom would be necessary to communicate/visually explain
the zoom-to-mouse to the user, so the risk of confusion
and frustration is minimized. Some kind of subtle rectangle
or transparent block showing the subarea to be zoomed into.

About zoom direction. I think scrolling down would be
the natural choice for zooming in. If you had something
under your finger and moved the finger towards you, it
would appear slightly larger. If you move some away from
you it would appear smaller.

(The exact opposite to how BePDF and WonderBrush work.
They seem to go by the idea that its -you- moving, so
when scrolling up you're moving into the image, but I
prefer seeing it as moving the object closer or further
away, as if you sat still holding the object. (Maybe a
bone with some raw meat on it. Or a cup of decaf.))

/Jonas.