[haiku-development] Re: Should ICU headers be installed?

  • From: Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:30:00 +0100

> Maybe this is a good idea to mention that that Haiku does not care
> about binary compatibility. Eg if you compile and link the webkit
> against libicudata.so, then after you upgrade the library in Haiku
> your webkit binary may not work due to binary incompatibility (for
> example from libicudata.so.38 to libicudata.so.42).

The point here is not the libraries but the headers, we use libicu***.so
in WebKit. But as we want people to work on the port we need the ICU
headers (for the moment we provide an archive to extract in
/boot/common/header).
Maybe, instead of including them by default, we can afford an
OptionalPackage
(with a warning that it should be used with caution).

Regards,
--
Maxime