[haiku-development] Re: Separate shortcut spaces

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:50:17 +0100

On 2009-01-19 at 22:56:25 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Humdinger schrieb:
> > > Maybe the Haiku Interface Guidelines
> > > (http://factory.haiku-os.org/documentation/HIG/) should reserve at
> > > least
> > > one key as system modifier then. I'm sure we'll need it if we want
> > > advance the user interface in the future, see the Stack&Tile
> > > feature and
> > > Move&Resize as discussed here.
> > Hm. That suggestion has some appeal. :-)
> >
> > Problem remains... can we agree on the best modifier to use for such
> > stuff? I tend to think the "Windows key" is the least pre-occupied.
> > And
> > it has some ring to it to reserve the "Windows key" for window
> > operations... ;-)
>
> Sure, but it also has a problem: it's not available everywhere. I know
> at least IBM keyboards don't have the windows key,

Same here, I had to configure my Option key away on my Kinesis keyboard due
to undesired behavior in Eclipse, I believe.

> but if you got an
> Apple, there is no such key either.

Sure, that would be the Option key.

> I'm afraid there is no perfect solution. Although, since we lived
> pretty well without such modifiers, maybe using the windows key isn't
> too bad - if you don't have it, you can still use the system without
> any problems, just a tad less convenient sometimes ;-)

We clearly need a thouroughly thought through (this phrase look weird :-))
and powerful key map and shortcut management at some point, so that people
can adjust Haiku's behavior to what they feel most comfortable with. Since
that would also require the introducation of new API and adjusting of
existing applications to use it, it's not really a short term target,
though. I guess we'll have to go with defaults most people can live with
for the time being. I vote for avoiding Option where possible -- Control,
Alt, Shift and combinations thereof should suffice in pretty much all cases.

CU, Ingo