[haiku-development] Re: Scripting languages

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 17:00:36 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>,
> I can sort of see your point but in general I think the standard
> meaning of scripting language is a high-level interpreted language
> particularly useful for scripting tasks but capable of making bigger
> applications. The major players being Perl, Python, Ruby and Lua.

That can't be the standard meaning - you're almost saying
scripting language means a scripting language that's more than
a scripting language.  Is Tcl not a scripting language then?
Whatever, I'm just saying, when we propose to put a lot of
work into a project related to "scripting languages", I hope
our thinking is more rigorous than our verbiage.

[... re Haskell bindings ... ]
> I don't know about Sean but I'm certainly interested in that. I'm
> finally taking the time to learn Haskell and using it to make Haiku
> applications would be a way to kill two birds (learn Haskell more and
> make Haiku applications.)

Well, it works but isn't ideal in every respect.  Probably has
space leaks, for example, because Haskell is "garbage collected."
And in general - this will be true for most languages - the API
classes are lot easier to use in their native C++.

        Donn