[haiku-development] Re: Scripting languages

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 15:13:24 -0400

On Saturday, May 14, 2011, Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not an argument, but an argumentative question - what does "scripting
> language" mean?
>
> I would have picked bash (and awk and sed) to be the only languages
> that meet my definition, on Haiku, inasmuch as they're used for what
> you might call UNIX scripting.  I don't know of any use of an application
> scripting language on Haiku, like ARexx on the Amiga.
>
> The languages on your list so far are interpreted, is that it?  But
> look out when you start trying to pin this one down (want to talk
> about whether Java is interpreted?)  If it matters for some reason,
> that the language is interpreted or not, then focus on that reason.

I can sort of see your point but in general I think the standard
meaning of scripting language is a high-level interpreted language
particularly useful for scripting tasks but capable of making bigger
applications. The major players being Perl, Python, Ruby and Lua.

> I have BeOS API bindings for GHC Haskell.  I don't care what you
> mean by it, Haskell is certainly no scripting language, but is it
> relevant to your project?

I don't know about Sean but I'm certainly interested in that. I'm
finally taking the time to learn Haskell and using it to make Haiku
applications would be a way to kill two birds (learn Haskell more and
make Haiku applications.)

Ryan