[haiku-development] Re: Scripting languages

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 07:14:45 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

> I should have specified that my question concerned my GSoC project for
> adding language bindings to scripting languages, with the initial focus
> on allowing access to the GUI elements of the Haiku API.
> But I welcome counter-arguments to any of the points in the paragraph above.

Not an argument, but an argumentative question - what does "scripting
language" mean?

I would have picked bash (and awk and sed) to be the only languages
that meet my definition, on Haiku, inasmuch as they're used for what
you might call UNIX scripting.  I don't know of any use of an application
scripting language on Haiku, like ARexx on the Amiga.

The languages on your list so far are interpreted, is that it?  But
look out when you start trying to pin this one down (want to talk
about whether Java is interpreted?)  If it matters for some reason,
that the language is interpreted or not, then focus on that reason.

I have BeOS API bindings for GHC Haskell.  I don't care what you
mean by it, Haskell is certainly no scripting language, but is it
relevant to your project?

        Donn