[haiku-development] Re: Scripting languages

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 23:34:38 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Basically my idea at this point is to get some kind of interface
> generator framework going, and smooth out the wrinkles by creating the
> interfaces for a number of classes for two target languages. Then adding
> new classes is as easy as writing a new interface definition, and
> supporting new languages is as "easy" as writing a new generator.

Indeed, that's what I've been doing (with occasionally other contributers)
with Python and Haskell.  The only catch is when the new language may
have requirements that weren't anticipated, so the interface defs are
back on the table, along with everything that depends on them.  But
hopefully not too much of that.  The main real issue there is that each
language can feasibly support a slightly different subset of the API.

I went on about requirements a little the last time we discussed this
here -
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Lua-bindings-for-the-Haiku-API-Volunteers,5

        Donn