[haiku-development] Re: Scripting languages

  • From: Hike Danakian <hdana2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 17:50:44 -0700

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That can't be the standard meaning - you're almost saying
> scripting language means a scripting language that's more than
> a scripting language.  Is Tcl not a scripting language then?
> Whatever, I'm just saying, when we propose to put a lot of
> work into a project related to "scripting languages", I hope
> our thinking is more rigorous than our verbiage.

The point is to write bindings to high level languages with which one
can throw together native GUIs very easily. The term "scripting
languages" was used colloquially, and has no bearing on the actual
task of writing language bindings.

I think people might confuse the term "scripting language" for
anything that runs in a terminal without a GUI and is interpreted, but
calling Perl a scripting language just because you put a #! on top
really under-represents it's completeness as a programming language
and even just its sheer complexity.