[haiku-development] Re: Scheduler algorithm improvements

  • From: Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:12:12 -0500

On Nov 6, 2009, at 14:07, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 10:21:32AM -0800, Urias McCullough wrote:
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Nov 6, 2009, at 11:37, Michael Oliveira <michaelvoliveira@xxxxxxxxxxxx >
wrote:
Haiku have serious problems, manly on latency of sound
What latency issues have you notice? Everything has been reasonable here.
Ditto for me, even on slower machines most of my systems have
perfectly working sound.

I have read some people having problems with certain hardware - I have always thought these are interrupt-sharing related issues, or a bug in
the driver perhaps. Not scheduler-related at all.

You can count me in the problems-with-sound camp. However, as I hear that others don't have such problems I've assumed that these are caused by the machine it's running on (IBM ThinkPad 570E) -- and maybe the fact that it has to go through OSS. (Though André Bragadid say in a recent mail about
the MidiKit that "the scheduler needs work"...)

Specifically, sound itself is erratically available -- it never seems to be there at start up, but suddenly later on I'll find it works. (Whether it will stop working again I haven't established.) Sound output will hiccup when I move a window -- I've never hit this in BeOS, so I guess it's possible
that the scheduler is responsible here.

So it's immediatly the schedualer? While it is looking more likely, I still wouldn't make worst case assumptions. The problems with audio are almost always driver related. If I read right, the OSS most covers the generic chipsets, not all the differences each card might have. These small changes can cause things to not work. This is why you usually have vendor specific drivers for windows and mac.

Last week I finally found out how to get the synth working (see a previous
mail), and tried live input, but the latency there was excruciating --
I'd say close to a second! Again, I don't see this with fluidsynth in BeOS.

-- Pete --