[haiku-development] Re: SMP: Is MAX_BOOT_CPUS 4 restriction intentional?

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:25:45 +0200

Good evening,

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:36:38 +0200 CEST, "François Revol" wrote:
>> > I just commited it as r33349.
>>
>> Note that it is still not checked on the _real_ hardware.
>
> Yep, we do accept donations ;)

I just found it а bit rush to commit unproven fixes into common
repository. And everybody of us donate that, that he can to donate. I
think, the time of our lives that we spend for this project is the most
valuable treasure. :-D

>> > Patch by Vincent Duvert:
>> > Remove the 4 cores limit at boot, and fix the allocator to handle 8
>> cores.
>> > There are still performance problems, but this allows booting with
>> > 8
>> cores.
>> > WARNING: since this changes x86 platform kernel args, you really
>> > don't
>> > want to update haiku_loader and kernel_x86 separately!
>>
>> But that was my idea !!!  >:-D
>
> Actually I investigated this a while ago too.
> He did the diff first :p

Yess, guys, the Victory has a thousand fathers. :-) And now look on the
_right_ screen-shot: http://siarzhuk.dyndns.org/RightScrShot.png. It works!
And "jam -j 8" takes about 30 minutes to completely re-build Haiku sources.

--
Kind Regards,
   S.Zharski