[haiku-development] Re: RoundRect ButtonFrame

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:32:47 -0700

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 06:31:08PM -0400, John Scipione wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Adrien Destugues
> <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Le Mon, 26 Mar 2012 23:25:01 +0200, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> But rectangular buttons
> >> is not doing our own thing, it is copying a copy of Mac OS 8's
> >> buttons. And that is okay, but let's take the historical reasoning of
> >> the decision into account as well.
> >
> > Mac OS had round-rect buttons since the very early days of system 1.0 on the
> > Mac 128.
> > Look closer at the screenshots :)
> >
> > http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/openfile
>
> History lesson time! :) ....
>
> I'm lost as to what my point was in all that, but, I am for roundrect buttons.

This is really going bike shed...

To me the difference in desirability between rectangular and rounded
buttons is insignificant.  (Though as I said before I find nothing wrong
with rectanguilar ones.)  And if the reason for going round is that
"Everybody else is doing it", that's a non-reason...

I'd think it was far more important to get a *really* stable system *first*,
before thinking about prettyfying it.  We need a scheduler that
doesn't priority-invert, for instance (hopefully nearly there on that one).
And we shouldn't even think of making any changes that might break
current apps.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

        -- Pete --