[haiku-development] Re: RoundRect ButtonFrame

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 18:31:08 -0400

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le Mon, 26 Mar 2012 23:25:01 +0200, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> But rectangular buttons
>> is not doing our own thing, it is copying a copy of Mac OS 8's
>> buttons. And that is okay, but let's take the historical reasoning of
>> the decision into account as well.
>
> Mac OS had round-rect buttons since the very early days of system 1.0 on the
> Mac 128.
> Look closer at the screenshots :)
>
> http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/openfile

History lesson time! :) System 1.0 had roundrect buttons. Steve Jobs
insisted on them. You can read about there origins on folklore.org
here:
http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Round_Rects_Are_Everywhere.txt

But MacOS 8 had much less rounded buttons more like BeOS 5. Compare
the MacOS 8 and BeOS 5 buttons in the screenshots found in the link
you send me and you'll see that they are quite similar to each other.
Steve Jobs wasn't around when Platinum (initially one of Copland's
many themes) was being developed so that explains why the buttons are
less round.

Actually, I am not sure who copied whom. It is actually quite possible
that MacOS copied BeOS. It would make sense, System 7 was becoming
quite dated looking with a lot of grey and flat controls while Windows
95 and BeOS had vibrant colors, gradients, and the like. When the devs
at Apple created Copland which became Mac OS 8 they may have looked at
BeOS and made there own version that eventually became Platinum, or,
BeOS might have copied pre-release version of Copland that Apple
demonstrated. It is hard to say, but, both the themes of Platinum and
BeOS are contemporaneous to the mid to late 90's. And both have mostly
rectangular buttons as did Windows.

> Anyway, I don't think this is going to get users lost. I don't care if there
> is a slight roundling like on classic mac os, and it looks well. I think Mac
> OS X does push it too far, however.

Anyway. in Mac OS X, which was Steve Jobs baby, roundrects were
unsurprisingly back in in a big way. I agree that it was overdone
along with much of Aqua. Those pinstripes still give me nightmares.
But, as time went on they refined the look of the OS reducing the more
garish aspects, and in Lion the buttons were finally toned down to a
more moderate radius. In the meantime Windows went to Luna in XP which
was there version of Aqua which, included roundrect buttons. And
Linux... well who knows.

I'm lost as to what my point was in all that, but, I am for roundrect buttons.

John Scipione