[haiku-development] Re: RoundRect ButtonFrame

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:33:15 -0400

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:47:32 -0400 John Scipione wrote:
>> I don't see how buttons with rounded corners on Haiku need a high DPI
>> display but their counterparts on Windows and Mac OS X and Linux and
>> Zeta do not…
>
> I didn't say that those other OSs wouldn't benefit from high DPI. They
> most probably do too, but since I'm using Haiku...
> I dislike using those OSs, so any possible round-GUI-issue are drowned
> by the general mediocre experience. :)

Let me explain where I am coming from on this. I implemented roundrect
buttons specifically for Deskcalc and Keymap. Rounded rectangles
definitely fit there. That is what the feature is for.

To make the feature complete and to make sure I got all the bugs out
of it I also implemented it for all BButtons. But the further along I
got, the more I found that I really liked the look of the roundrect
buttons.

So I did a little research to see what other OS's use. And it turns
out, almost exclusively the latest version of other OSs all feature
buttons with rounded corners: Windows 7, Mac OS X Lion, Gnome 3,
Unity, KDE 4, even BeOS Dano and Zeta all feature roundrect buttons.
There must be a reason for this, whether it is purely cosmetic or has
some more practical benefits I do not know. What I do know is that
rectangular buttons are used more or less by OS's made at or before
2001 or so such as Windows 98, Mac OS 9, Gnome 2, KDE 3, and BeOS 5.
Please don't argue with silly exceptions to this, I'm sure there are a
few but the overall trend is clear.

So, Haiku featuring rectangular buttons makes Haiku looks old by
association even if rectangular buttons are more usable than roundrect
ones and even if you prefer them.

I would furthermore hope to make a few changes to the appearance of
Haiku to make it appear "more modern" before R1A4. Visual changes
demonstrate progress more readily than the under the hood changes, in
other words visual changes have a lower barrier of recognition. I'm
not saying that visual changes are more important than under the hood
changes, I am saying that visual changes are more recognizable and
therefore hint at under the hood changes.

So, given that roundrect buttons make Haiku appear more modern
clearly, and considering that they are a visual tweak, I vote to
include them by default. But, I cannot act unilaterally on a change
like this. That is why I asked for feedback.

We could put the decision up to a vote as is our usual custom.
However, I'd rather not do that as I'd rather not bother all the devs
who don't care one way or the other. If they cared, they would have
already chimed in by now.

Since I am clearly biased, what I propose is to allow Stippi aka
Stephan Aßmus to decide since he responsible for so much of the look
and feel of Haiku, he is the best person to adjudicate this decision.

John Scipione